Friday, March 24, 2017

Mining for Lead-Orcs


This mining session focuses on the big green guys, Orcs.  After discovering that I had to have some Orc Units in order to field my Goblins due to the old Warhammer Armies minimum requirements, I started filling the boyz unit requirement with the Warhammer Fantasy Regiment.  A big box of plastic miniatures seems like old hat nowadays with all the plastic sets that are available but that wasn’t the case back in the 80’s.



This was the first of its kind with a massive 60 figures per box!  I would say the biggest drawback is that they were spread over 6 different races: Orcs, Goblins, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves, and Skaven.  It worked out great if you had a friend to trade unwanted races with. 


Again this is pre internet and ebay so it wasn’t as easy to get rid of unwanted figures as it is now.  I did manager to trade some of my extras off or use some of the odds and ends like Stuntie heads on banners and such.  as previously posted I used the goblins to round out Sticker's unit.



Next up is the box of Harbroths Orc Archers to fulfill the Arrer Boyz requirement in the armies list.



Back in the day you could also have crossbows so I proceed to pick up a few of them as well.  


Next boxed set pick up was the Orc War Wyvern. 




Some minor conversion work with the horns reversed and a green stuff tongue.  I selected the lance figure as the rider and utilized the other as my unit leader for my Boar Riders.  Since I mentioned them here they are. 



I wasn’t much of a Citadel boar fan but when Marauder released their boars I decided to dive into a unit or two.  The riders are a mix of Marauder and Citadel figures.  I had intentions to have a unit of Savage Boar riders as well but I haven’t gotten around to collecting all of the necessary figures.  


Here is the heavy support a spear chuckers and a few rock lobbers with appropriate crews. I guess the Iron Claw stone thrower is technically a goblin unit but I threw it in with the others.



I’d love to get a hold of the Man Mangler and Lead Belcher boxed sets but I’ve never been able to find them within a price range of my liking, it’s always good to have some goals to strive for.  


Last up is one of my favorite units, they are Marauder Orcs.  I love their look with an Asian/Mongolian  influence and have used them as an allied Hobgoblin unit at times over the years.  I would like to get a few more to bulk up their numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment