Sunday, March 3, 2019

A Little Old School Novel reading.

I recently completed the first two books of the Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden: Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver.  I haven't been able to find the third, Void Stalker, as of yet.


I was desperate to find something to read and couldn't bring myself to start the Legend of Sigmar Omnibus so I perused the shelf and decided it had been awhile since I read the Gotrek and Felix novels so I grabbed the first book in the series, Trollslayer to give it a re-read.


I made a funny discovery while opening it up to get started.  The original receipt fell out of it and I was amazed to find out that I have had this for over 15 years!  I think it is certainly time for a re-read!  And in fact I think I will give the entire series a re-read.

I like King's writing style and enjoyed re-reading the first novel.  It is an interesting layout in that it is really seven short stories presented as a recount of Felix's adventures with Gotrek.  This keeps the interest level up and was a fun read.  Nothing like Felix's recounting of how they dispatched the agents of the chaos gods such as the abandon mutants in Geheimnisnacht, the warpstone amuleted troll in The Dark Beneath the World (damn those Skaven bastards), the tainted Fredericksburg noble in The Mark of Slaanesh, the beastmen and mighty female chaos warrior Justine in Blood and Darkness, or Felix's old classmate Albericht Kruger in the The Mutant Master.  As you can see their struggles against the spawn of chaos are a common thread throughout their many tales.



Well I'm off to start Skavenslayer and reacquaint myself with Grey Seer Thanquol!

No comments:

Post a Comment