Saturday, June 25, 2022

The Force is strong in this one...

 With this post I'm venturing into the Star Wars universe, specifically the Star Wars Legion line of miniatures.  I have not purchased the core set as of yet, I wanted to make sure I was interested in the figures first.  My wonderful wife and sons got me a couple of expansion sets of Imperial forces because clearly the universe needs structure and order!  

I'm obviously a fan of Star Wars, who isn't?  I saw the original premier in the theater as a kid back in the day.  There have been a few iterations of Star Wars miniatures from the West End Games Star Wars Miniatures Battles to the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars Miniatures collectable line.  While these have always been intriguing to me it was Fantasy Flight Games release of Imperial Assault that got me to dip a toe in the water and it was Legion that got me to jump all the way in!  

I started off with a used copy of Imperial Assault which is more of a board game than a wargame but it was packed full of miniatures, 34 to be precise.  

I picked up a copy at Half Price Books at a ridiculously low price.  Some good pieces like Darth Vader, Luke, recon droids,  Stormtroopers and some miscellaneous rebel forces.

I started to do some research into the Legion line which was released shortly after I picked up Assault.  There was a lot of chatter online about the scale difference between the two.  After some thought I decided to go with the Legion line since it was also announced that Assault was being discontinued.  I got a couple of the expansion packs of Stormtroopers for Christmas to try out.

 First thing to do was get one assembled for a scale comparison.  One of the droid probes came off its base so I was able to get them on the same base.  The Legion bases are notably taller and thicker than those from Imperial Assault.  Any crossovers will likely need re-based to the Legion bases.

Now lets take a look at the Stormtrooper comparison.


Clearly the Legion models are a bit larger in scale and definitely more detailed.  In a large mass of them its unlikely that you would notice it much, especially from an overhead view while gaming.  I do think that non-identical figures will probably mix well together.

Being honest, I'm not a big fan of white as a primary color for miniatures but given my proclivity for all things Empire i dont have much of a choice.  I'm going to give 4 different base color schemes a try: white base, grey base, black with just grey apex and black with grey and white apex.

 

Next update will feature the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment