Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Stripping!




Not what you think although I did find some inappropriate pics to go along with the title.  I instead have elected to stay on the true topic which is stripping off old paint.   As I posted previously I've decided to get back into the Rogue Trader mins by diving into the old Space Elves/Eldar range.  It was very easy to pick up a ton of the old dreadnaught/war walker/wraithlords most of them had very poor paint jobs so the task at hand was figuring out how to strip off the old paint.  After some quick research I found a few options.  First up was the purple power juice or Castrol Super Clean.   
Turns out that I couldn't find the Castrol Super Clean.  Not sure if it isn't produced anymore of just not carried in my area.   Next up was Dettol.  

 


Well strike number two it appears that this is really a British product either only available in England or again not in my area.   Next up was Simple Green. 
Well it appears that the 3rd time is a charm.  I have to be honest I had my doubts about this since it is a biodegradable degreaser but It was my only option outside of a solvent based stripper.  Much to my amazement it worked very efficiently!  I went with a 50/50mix and in most cases it stripped off the paint in one soak.  I decided to set up two soaking vats one for the first heavy duty stripping and a second one for a separate soaking to get into the nooks and crannies.



Above is the conglomeration of dreadnought bits I've recently purchased with the painting pealing off.  to the right is what i thought was a spray can enamel but it peeled right off after a few days in the Simple Green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment